Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Divers retrieve 80-pound brass bell from first U.S. Navy destroyer ever sunk by enemy fire -Capitatum
Algosensey|Divers retrieve 80-pound brass bell from first U.S. Navy destroyer ever sunk by enemy fire
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 14:37:30
An enormous bell once attached to a historic warship that was torpedoed during World War I has been recovered from the wreckage, about a year and a half after divers discovered the lost ship in waters off the southwestern coast of England.
The bell was retrieved by a specialized salvage unit assigned to survey the wreck site of the USS Jacob Jones, a United States Navy destroyer that went down in the English Channel on Dec. 6, 1917, after being struck by a German submarine's torpedo. It was the first U.S. Navy destroyer sunk by enemy fire, according to the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC).
After the shipwreck was discovered in August 2022, the NHHC partnered with the U.K. Ministry of Defense to study the site, which a group of expert divers found about 400 feet beneath the ocean's surface some 60 miles south of Cornwall at the tip of the southern English peninsula.
Normally, the U.S. Navy's policy stipulates that newly-discovered shipwrecks like this one are left undisturbed. But the international partnership, in this case, was commissioned out of concerns about "unauthorized and illegal salvaging of the ship's bell," said Sam Cox, a retired U.S. Navy rear admiral and the director of the Naval History and Heritage Command, in a statement.
Made from brass and weighing 80 pounds, according to a Washington Post report, the bell "will serve as a memorial to sailors who made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of both the United States and the United Kingdom," Cox's statement continued. CBS News contacted the NHHC for more details about the bell but did not receive an immediate response.
Pulled from its initial patrol off the coast of Virginia before the U.S. joined World War I in April 1917, the USS Jacob Jones was deployed to the U.K. carrying supply convoys and is remembered for ultimately rescuing hundreds of survivors from damaged British ships that had been hit by enemy fire. Citing the Maritime Archeology Trust, the U.S. Naval Institute said the destroyer has been credited with rescuing 374 crew members and passengers from torpedoed merchant ships and passenger ships throughout its deployment in European waters.
The destroyer sank eight minutes after being hit by the German torpedo in December of that year, with two officers and 62 crew members on board, according to the NHHC. There were others on the USS Jacob Jones who survived the torpedo strike, since Commander David W. Bagley called for the ship to be abandoned and its life rafts launched as the stern began to sink, according to the agency.
"The wreck of the ship is a hallowed war grave and is the last resting place for many of the 64 men who were lost in the sinking," said Cox. The crew assigned to salvage the site of the destroyer recently used a remotely operated vehicle to place a wreath and the American flag over the wreckage in memory of the sailors who died more than a century ago.
After its recovery, the bell was given temporarily to the private U.K. firm Wessex Archaeology, under contract with the NHHC, the agency said. It will be turned over to the U.S. during a ceremonial transfer set to take place later this year, and will subsequently be sent to the NHHC's Underwater Archaeology Branch for conservation treatment. It will eventually be displayed at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy in Washington, D.C.
The discovery of the USS Jacob Jones in 2022 came less than two months after a U.S. Navy destroyer escort sunk during World War II was found about 23,000 feet below sea level off the Philippines, making it the deepest shipwreck ever located.
- In:
- United States Navy
- World War I
Emily Mae Czachor is a reporter and news editor at CBSNews.com. She covers breaking news, often focusing on crime and extreme weather. Emily Mae has previously written for outlets including the Los Angeles Times, BuzzFeed and Newsweek.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (564)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Hidden Walmart Fashion Finds TikTok Convinced Me Buy
- Judge dismisses felony convictions of 5 retired U.S. Navy officers in Fat Leonard bribery case
- Khloe Kardashian Unveils “Strawberry Shortcake” Hair Transformation
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Senate confirms 200th Biden judge as Democrats tout major milestone
- Austin police fatally shoot man seen making a bomb at a convenience store during a standoff
- Ireland, Spain and Norway recognizing a Palestinian state
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Jennifer Lopez’s Answer to Ben Affleck Breakup Question Will Leave Your Jaw on the Floor
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Dwayne The Rock Johnson Looks Unrecognizable as UFC Champ Mark Kerr in The Smashing Machine
- Donald Trump may be stuck in a Manhattan courtroom, but he knows his fave legal analysts
- The real stars of Cannes may be the dogs
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Nordstrom’s Half-Yearly Sale Is Full of Epic Home & Fashion Deals up to 60% off, Including SKIMS & More
- Bud Anderson, last surviving World War II triple ace pilot, dies at 102
- North Carolina governor heading to Europe for trade trip
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Former University of Arizona grad student found guilty of murder in campus shooting of professor
Dumping oil at sea leads to $2 million fine for shipping companies
Bill OK’d by North Carolina House panel would end automatic removal of some criminal records
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
CDC: Second human infected with bird flu linked to U.S. dairy cows
Red Lobster lists 99 restaurants closed in 28 states: See locations closing in your state
Former student found guilty in murder of University of Arizona professor Thomas Meixner